Sunday 22 September 2019

THE RUGBY ROOM

Jeepers! With my recent posts and no doubt, more to come I should create an Armchair Sport's Curmudgeon Blog.



But I won't do that to you - yet.

************

Poor old SPARK has got itself into a bit of a problem with the streaming service. Serves them bloody right. Its arrogance is typical of any company populated by 'bright young things' who all think they know better. In this case, this lot ignored their own polls of viewers, subscribers, customers and the general public which overwhelmingly said that New Zealanders didn't understand and didn't trust streaming. The people polled also were confused as to the technology required. SPARK bulldozed on regardless and caused a shit-storm of trouble with existing, new and prospective subscribers. Last night, with the first All Blacks game they experienced technical problems that have now forced them to throw the service back to free TV and to guarantee rebates to their SparkSport subscribers (I'm one). Idiots.

Now, to be fair to SPARK all of the problems are not of their own making technically speaking but they have had a monumental cock-up PR and marketing speaking. I subscribed early to take advantage of the account holder discount and was assured that I'd be able to view via my TV. This turned out to be an over-promise and a crock of shit because my TV (recently purchased) was outside of the technological parameters and, after purchasing a $109 Chrome cast device on instructions from SPARK my iPad and iPhone are too old to connect. They are old but stuffed if I'm going to replace them. just because some fucking 20 somethings at SPARK who queue up in Queen Street for new release Apple products deem it so.

So. I can't watch the Rugby World Cup on my TV. Boo hoo. I'm resilient though. I discovered that I can watch SPARK streaming on my desktop computer. Fortunately this is a Mac with a  27 inch screen so sitting close is like watching a big screen TV ( from further away). I've had to bring an armchair from the kitchen nook area for comfort but it works. See here:


I'm actually OK with this as I'm watching these games on my own. I'd be pissed off if I'd planned for a big family and neighbours to be watching as then it would be uncomfortable. As it is, this works . The computer is in the study and it's now become, for the next few weeks, my 'man-cave'.

The Old Girl works in Auckland during the week and, for the present until she gives up work (soon) and comes up to live here full-time, spends long weekends here. Unbelievably, when the All Blacks played their first game against South Africa last night she preferred to watch something on NETFLIX - a ROMCOM! What's that about?

The TV in the lounge then isn't being used for RUGBY, it's being used for ROMCOMs.





As it turns out this isn't such a bad thing. If SPARK's streaming had allowed my 'old' (18 month old) television to receive the telecasts (streamcasts?) then The Old Girl and I might be at loggerheads when each wanting to watch different things. I wonder what goes on around the country when one half of the family doesn't care about the rugby?




No comments: