Wednesday 11 September 2019

I'M TIRED OF THIS SHIT

Once upon a time we bought appliances that did the job that we bought them for for a long time and we weren't concerned that there were newer models out there as long as our 'old banger' kept doing the job.

Our washing machine is at least 12 years old and performs as good as it did when new. We have cupboards full of kitchen devices that are decades old and do the job better than any new-fangled ones.


This looks like The Old Girl and me (but I won't tell her that)


Why is it that computer and electronic gear is virtually obsolete after 6 months?
I bought an LG 'smart' television in December 2017 and it's now considered to be old technology. WTF? That's less than two years old - I consider it to be new.





***************

So, where is this going?

I want to watch the World Cup Rugby here, at home, in the comfort of my own living room.
Months ago I purchased a SPARK Tournament pass  to allow this. SPARK said that they were arranging for this to be compatible with smart TVs and month by month gave updates on which devices were becoming compatible. I started to get worried when LG didn't appear on the list but was told by SPARK representatives not to worry as they were getting round to it. Last month they did announce that LG TVs would be compatible but only if they were purchased from November 2018. 2018! Mine was purchased a year earlier. I contacted SPARK and they said sorry but that was true and suggested that I buy a Chromecast device which will allow the TV to connect to SPARK via an iPhone or an iPad which I have.



Today I went to Noel Leeming and purchased a Google Chromecast Ultra which I'm assured will work and that is 'idiot proof' to set up. It cost me $109.00.

I started the set up to discover that the iPad or iPhone to be used has to have iOS11 or later as an operating system. Mine is updated to 10.3.3. FUCK!
I went on-line to work out how to upgrade either the phone or iPad to iOS11 and followed the steps to discover that iOS11 couldn't be downloaded to the iPhone or the iPad that I own as they are 'too old'.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!
The damned things work perfectly OK for everything I use them for but some little geeky fuckwit at APPLE has decided that upgrades are necessary so that people will have to buy newer model devices even though the current and older ones work perfectly fucking well.

F ... (you get the gist)!

It looks like I'll be watching the games on the desk computer  in the study which is not comfortable or ideal. That is of course if Fucking SPARK can manage to get it to me on-line without me having to buy a brand new computer as well.

I might have to resort to listening to the games on the radio like I've done in the recent past.




.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm in the same boat. My Spark modem doesn't seem to recognise me Vodafone mobile which I had to get because my Spark mobile was fucking useless - didn't work for phone or texts at home.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Bastards.

Now while I can't stand that reactionary Mike Hosking, this is interesting.
His take on SPARK in the Herald:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12265940