Monday 25 July 2022

STORMY WEATHER

 STORMY WEATHER - ETTA JAMES

STORMY WEATHER - LENA HORNE

STORMY WEATHER - ETHEL WATERS

STORMY WEATHER - ELLA FITZGERALD

STORMY WEATHER- BILLIE HOLIDAY


OK, as you no doubt expected I inserted some clips of the song 'Stormy Weather'.

Ethel Waters version was the first and they each have something going for them, showcasing the individual voices of the singers. Personally I think that Billie Holiday's version is the best as it has that sad and damaged edge to it that was part of her persona.

****************

Anyway - moving on ..... we've been having a hell of a storm up here for the last couple of days. It's the second worst storm we've experienced in the 12 years we've lived here. The worst, back in 2011, I wrote about: STRANDED IN PARADISE

No chairs have blown over on the deck as, sadly, these have gone to the old chair place in the sky. No pumps have been needed either and we haven't had to hire a portaloo. We've been leak-free as well since replacing the old wooden sash windows with new aluminium ones and the new roof we installed back in 2015 has weathered the storm.


I heard the fire station alarm go off a few times and have seen the fire-truck hurtling off with lights flashing, through the storm. I feel sorry for the volunteer firemen who have to go out in this and hope that the call-outs have been for fallen trees, blown-off roofs and slips rather than car accidents. Sadly, up here as, I guess, everywhere, many of the drivers are foolish and don't drive to the conditions preferring to barrel along on wet roads at the same speed as they do on dry roads. Years of playing racing games on video consoles are probably to blame and they'll only learn through empirical knowledge when they end upside down in a ditch.

There are reports of fallen trees, slips and flooding and no doubt there will be fallen power poles so I've replaced the gas bottle that feeds the stove-top and charged up the torches.

A road near us

I've had to put wet weather gear- waterproof over-trousers, rain-slicker and gumboots on a couple of times to retrieve rubbish bins, a wheelbarrow and sundry other things that have blown away plus to check on the roof, the sheds and the basement doors. Apart from that it's a day to stay indoors.


How's your day going?

9 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I liked Lena, Ella and Billie the most. Now to read the post.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"How's your day going?"
Well, I was at Nuova Lazio High School and it was really cold. I did an hour's double bass practice when I got home. I'm sitting playing with my phone now because I feel very tired. I might watch something, like a movie or an old TV series on my phone. Ciao tutti.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Wow!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I might watch something, like a movie or an old TV series on my phone. Ciao tutti."

I could not watch a film on my phone.
Haven't you got a television or a monitor?

Lynn won't let me eat ice-cream but thanks for the offer.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sorry about the ice cream.

I'm happy watching things on my phone.
I watched an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Getting some banjo hints?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Shouldn't you be writing a post? We're a little bit down on posts at the moment. I thought you appointed yourself our leader or are you just too old for the job?

Richard (of RBB) said...

I seem to be getting lots of comments in these sparse times. Maybe that's just what happens when one is operating an excellent bass bagging site. Chucks!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

‘Chucks up’ would be more appropriate.