Wednesday 22 November 2023

MODERNISM

 


OK, if you don't want Modernism go to Robert's blog and hear (again) about old Bible stuff. I don't care.

Or, you could check out Richard's Revised Bass Bag - the one with pictures.


********************


I've had a full day today and can't wait to tell The Old Girl  (T.O.G.) about it.*

She's working in Auckland this week and yesterday, on our nightly FaceTime call she was less than impressed at my activity report - scathing actually.

Today I started early by mowing the lawn before it got too hot. I then did a load of washing and hung it out.

I did some housework - vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms (she's coming home tomorrow).

I went into town for some supermarket shopping and to Mitre 10 Mega for a couple of Black Friday deals. I bought a retractable hose reel ($99 down from $180) and a Black and Decker battery drill set for T.O.G. to replace hers that burned out a while ago (It wasn't me - honest).


It cost $90 and came with a battery and battery charger which is a pretty good deal.

I charged up the B&D battery and then installed the new hose reel at the end of the house (using her new drill that I won't tell her about). I found a strong batten below one of the spare bedroom's window that allowed installing the reel mechanism while allowing room underneath to wheel a barrow and it is far enough back so that the trailer won't knock it. Job done, I'm happy. The hose reel is a cheaper version of the more expensive and better quality Gardena one I installed under the front deck earlier in the year. I've been hoping that a Gardena one would come up on the Black Friday sales but - no such luck. The one at the front will get the most use though as T.O.G. has lots of plants and flowers in pots on the deck that need daily watering in Summer and I have lots of herbs in big planters along the side of the house.

I didn't get a nap today and had only about a half hour to do some reading and solve crosswords and am only blogging now (7pm) while waiting for my dinner to cook. It's pretty prosaic - lamb sausages, mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus but I'm tired. I'm enjoying a Church Road McDonald Series chardonnay - suitably chilled regardless of what that old wine critic down south says.

Salut!






* I'm also telling you, the reader as I know from past posts that you like to hear about life up North.

Hypocrite lecteur, — mon semblable, — mon frère ! (Hypocrite reader - my fellow man - my brother!) From T.S. Eliot The Waste Land. If you want to know what it's about, read T.S. Eliot or Baudelaire.

A Modernist look at T.S. Eliot


3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

What a great read!

I love the bagpipes!

Irish music is not repetitive!

Brother Benedict was a nice guy!

Anonymous said...

Everyone gets the experience. Some get the lesson.

Tom Eliot

Anonymous said...

Everyone gets an experiment. That's why it's called Science class.

Berty Eliot (Tom's brother)