Sunday 18 August 2019

COMING TO GRIPS WITH LIFE

Experience is a wonderful thing. No matter how much we are told or what information we pass on to other people it is really only first hand experience by us and them that brings the reality home.

This experience can be on minor or major things with the major list including family issues, births, deaths and marriages, major financial investments, employment and health. After those, and the list wasn't exhaustive, the other things are really quite trivial.

A friend of mine is facing a serious family issue with his wife being diagnosed with a terminal illness.
This is devastating and, given that the illness is one that the medical profession 'hang dates on' brings it much closer to home than usual. I truly feel sorry for him, his wife and their family.
I'm an atheist. I was brought up and educated in the Catholic religion but for my own reasons have abandoned that. My friend is a Catholic and is a believer and an active participant in Catholicism and its practices. I understand that his wife is also. They take 'comfort' in their religion and have a belief that the power of prayer will assist them. I'm pleased that they have this belief. To me this is the true benefit and blessing of religion. I've always seen churches as places of sanctuary and spiritual healing and for those who believe, that religion is a solace and a promise of better things.

My partner and I have experienced the death of close family members and friends as we all have, do and will do. It rips us up, turns us inside and takes many years to get through the grieving process. Frankly I wouldn't have it any other way as the power of the grief is related to the depth of the love we have for that person who has gone. This is part of life and who we are, painful as it might be.

My thoughts and concerns go to my friend, not the prayers that he has requested as I think that my own personal experiences allow me to understand how he feels better than me adopting something that I don't believe in.

Stay strong my friend.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, really nice thoughts. Thank you Peter. Much love to you guys and sincere thoughts for what you have been through.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I told a Presbyterian Sunday School teacher my thoughts on evil being the absence of good, last Saturday.
In return she eventually asked me "What is life".

It made me think for a moment but my reply seemed to be what she was searching for.
I said "Do you mean life in this world or life in the spiritual realm".