Wednesday 21 August 2019

THAT MAGIC FEELING




I was listening to National Radio this morning and Graeme Downes was talking about the medley from The Beatles Abbey Road as it is 50 years today that this outstanding album was released.

I particularly like an excerpt from You Never Give Me Your Money:

Out of college, money spent / See no future, pay no rent / All the money's gone, / nowhere to go / Any job, I got the sack /Monday morning, / turning back / Yellow lorry slow, / nowhere to go / But oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go / Nowhere to go

This to me is freedom.


When I was at university and working part time at Murray Roberts and Co. I was very happy. The job didn't pay much but I had no financial commitments apart from a bit of rent and living expenses and no responsibilities. I had no ambitions given that I've always been a lazy bugger and had 'nowhere to go'. It was sheer serendipity that I fell into a job in Auckland that led to a great and long career in the wine industry which brought high earnings, travel and experience. It also brought commitments and responsibilities. I worked hard and well but often sat in my office looking out the window and dreaming of having nothing to do and nowhere to go.

Being retired is wonderful. I can daydream as much as I want, read books, do crosswords and word puzzles, watch films, go for walks - all without commitment and responsibility.

I can recommend it.


1 comment:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

That's a great song.
I agree that we get locked into a belief system that life outside the weekly drudgery of travelling into Auckland/Wellington and back is the only option.
It just takes a leap of faith to make the change knowing God wills the best for each of us and we will not starve.