Thursday 29 August 2019

SOCK IT TO THEM



🎵R-E-S-P-E-C-T  /   Find out what it means to me / R-E-S-P-E-C-T / Take care / TCB / Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me) /     A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me)🎵
                                - Otis Redding



Richard, of Richard's Bass Bag which purports to be the original bass bagging site, whatever that is wrote a good post today. SEE:





He recounts an episode at the high school he is doing some relief teaching at:

"This week was a tricky little three day event at NLHS. There are some lovely students but there are also a fairly large number of little self obsessed tyrants who seem to have no limits to their revolting behaviour. As I stood in front of one class, there was a guy throwing plastic felt pens at me. Technically this is assault, though I guess I might be accused of being too PC here. There were quite a few students who refused to follow any instructions and just wanted to cause any disruption they could. I think they wanted me to break down and cry, or something."
I find this to be appalling. School days should be the best days of a person's life. A time of wonderment and learning and it's such a shame that these students are mean-spirited and uninterested in learning.

Later, Richard says:
"So, what could be so horrific about standing in front of a bunch of teenagers?The teacher is there to teach and guide - teachers are assessed quite regularly on their ability to do this. Sometimes a class will sense that a teacher is vulnerable and not able to 'get on top of' the class. Sometimes the class will decide to push things to the limit. When this goes ahead it is psychological torture and makes the teacher feel worthless and vulnerable. It really messes with your mind and your feeling of self worth. I've been there a few times in my long, non illustrious career. A few too many times. Some people like to talk about respect and how it must be earned. I prefer to ask, "How badly are you prepared to treat someone?"

This is insightful. We often talk about respect and how it is to be earned but Richard turns this around and puts responsibility squarely back on the protagonists: - "How badly are you prepared to treat someone?"
Is this a conscious decision by these young people? Do they even think about what they are doing? I'm a believer in everyone being responsible for their actions and don't give leeway to excuses for behaviour having been dictated by the influences of other people - parents, teachers, employers and
peers etc. This is kind of like free will and conscience - a personal morality if you will that I call ethics. I'd like to use that question sometime if the occasion comes up and ask someone who is being an arsehole by abusing others.


"HOW BADLY ARE YOU PREPARED TO TREAT SOMEONE?"


Obviously before doing a Jack Reacher and punching him in the face.*

















* Don't get your knickers in a twist. I wouldn't do that











3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Thanks. Very supportive.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I do wonder if badness has substance. Is not badness just a place of lesser good like evil.
I was interested to hear you say "This is kind of like free will and conscience - a personal morality if you will that I call ethics."
I recall us having a similar discussion many years ago and you said ethics are something business people use to justify something they do but morality is inherent in all humanity!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Badness isn't some dark mist or stain that the 'devil' casts over people who haven't got a 'belief' in Jesus and the Catholic church.
That's the kind of puerile thinking and teaching that the Nuns and Brothers rammed down our throats at primary and intermediate school. Nor is it a 'lesser good' That's just silly.

I don't recall your recall as it's unlikely something that I would have said. I have a higher regard for ethics than that.

Here are a few posts that touched on ethics and morality brought to you by The Curmudgeon's archive:


https://grumpyoldmanreturnsnz.blogspot.com/2017/03/born-again.html

https://grumpyoldmanreturnsnz.blogspot.com/2018/08/personal-jesus.html

https://grumpyoldmanreturnsnz.blogspot.com/2019/06/goodbye-and-thanks-for.html