Wednesday 7 August 2019

FIT FOR .......?

I go to the gym occasionally and do some cycling, rowing, free weights and machine weights. I'm not obsessive about it and only spend about 40 minutes there when I go.
It is good for toning up the old body though.

My knee has been giving me gyp recently and I haven't played tennis, walked or gone to the gym for a fortnight and am feeling a bit 'antsy'.
Yesterday I had an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon who basically said that life sucks, we're all getting old and we just have to put up with our aches and pains.
At least I think that's what he said as he couched his diagnosis in allusions to cars.


Yes, cars. He talked about buying a second hand car and not having a proper warranty or not being able to guarantee what that car's going to do because you don't know what's under the bonnet.
I thought for a moment that I'd come to the wrong place and had to have a quick look out the window to make sure that I hadn't come to a second hand car dealers by mistake.


Eventually I understood what he was banging on about. He was telling me that I didn't meet the criteria for a joint replacement and so he couldn't recommend one for me. He talked about the invasive surgery involved and sometimes it's better to put up with pain and discomfort until things get so bad that you are forced into the knee surgery etc.

I tell you, he seemed to be doing his best to say orthopaedic surgery is a waste of time and if he was a car salesman he's have been the worst one ever.

"Don't buy these, they're crap"

One outcome was his assurance that whatever's going on with my knee - probably arthritic degeneration - then exercise isn't going to exacerbate any problems (as long as I'm sensible) so I can walk, play tennis, play golf and go to the gym any time I like. I said that I wear a sports knee support when I walk and play tennis. He said that he sees those things as placebos and if it made me feel better then go for it. Strange chap, obviously he doesn't get any kickbacks from the medical accessory industry.

He recommended cycling as the best form of exercise.

"Great" I thought as only 3 weeks ago I sold my rusty trusty bike to neighbour Rod. "Now I'll have to buy a new one." The Old Girl when I told her put her Minister of Home Finance and Minister of Home Affairs hats on and told me to go for it so I'll start looking at Trade Me (a new blog post will ensue).


Today's a beautiful day and I'm off for a walk soon and then the gym.


*************

Talking (again) of the gym, on the weekend when I was getting dressed I said to The Old Girl:

"Hey, look, my gym work is giving me a 6-pack"



She looked over and said, rather unkindly I thought:


"What? A six-pack? You mean a half dozen cream doughnuts?"



Women!

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Did you suck your gut in for the photo?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I had to breath out as I was worried that my pyjama bottoms might slip down.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I think you are lucky to wear that scar from your 'billy button'. Our prime minister wants fewer of these. Though I could be wrong.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I think you are lucky to wear that scar from your 'billy button'. Our prime minister wants fewer of these. Though I could be wrong."

When I figure out what you are saying here I might respond.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I imagine that if Robert's Philippine priest also advocated shooting all drug dealers and criminals he'd find a way to see that as sound catholic teachings.