Monday 3 May 2021

I DON'T MIND MONDAYS.

 We lucked out with a great day today so I set about preparing and painting the deck railings. We put this deck in years ago and took the builder's advice to let it weather rather than stain or paint the railings. I've never really been happy with the result which is grey coloured timber that clashes with the colour of the house.


I spent about 5 hours today putting the first coat of paint on using Wattlyl Accent



This is good paint that can be used for both undercoat and main coat. I'm hoping that just one more coat will do as I don't fancy two more 5 hour stints. I had to rig up some scaffolding at the high point of the deck and it was bloody hard work reaching up to do the underneath parts. I'd hate to be a painter.

I'm pleased with the result of the undercoat which already gives the deck a bit of a lift.


I finished just before 3PM and decided to leave the main coat for another day. It was hot and sunny and the tide was in so I went in for a swim. This is, I think, the first time that I've gone swimming in May. The water was crisp on first getting in but afterwards was delightful. I stayed in for about a quarter of an hour enjoying the sight of the newly painted deck.


How's your day going?


4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well done though I thought that Wattyl came in a bottle.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, you can put it in a bottle but you can also hold it in your hand.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

As I drove around to Eastbourne the harbour was still and inviting. But I suppose there is a couple of degrees temperature difference between Whangarei and Wellington!

Picking out the fence in white was a stroke of genius.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I did another 4 hours today, top coating half of the railings and priming the base boards and step surrounds. I'm buggered after that and tennis this morning. I deserve a vodka and tonic!
I had planned to have another swim but I didn't finish until 6PM and it's now dark.
Hopefully we will have another cracker day tomorrow and I can finish the job.