Friday 21 April 2023

COLD COLD COLD

 


I'm sorting out my winter clothes today - last worn in Canada.

The Old Girl is off to Christchurch next week for 3 months.

I will miss her but, to look on the bright side - I'll get the study back to use ,meaning I won't have to blog on this small laptop computer.


Me: "Think of the increased quality of blog posts."
Her: "Yeah right."

I've already booked flights in May, June and July to visit for a week each month. I'll reacquaint myself with Christchurch during the week and we will go away on the weekends to different places - Franz Josef, Akaroa, Dunedin, Waipara etc. It'll be an adventure.

Being winter we won't be doing things like punting on the river (if that still exists) ...



We lived in Christchurch for 5 years and I did enjoy the winters with clear blue skies and crisp coolness. The only season I didn't like was late summer with the dreaded nor' wester winds that create the Foehn effect of sending people crazy: FOEHN WINDS

I'm looking forward to it.

"Well it's been a month since I seen my girl
Or a dime to make the call
'Cause it passed me up, or it passed me by,
Or I couldn't decide at all
And I'm mixed up, I'm so mixed up
Don't you know I'm lonely
And I wish the world would get off of my case
And get on one of it's own"

           - Lowell George 'Cold Cold Cold'

7 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Maybe while she is gone you can use your time to become closer to Jesus!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good idea Rob. Oops, sorry, I thought you said cheeses. I haven't got my glasses on.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well,Jesus as represented in that host thing at mass would go down better with some cheese on top - and some chilli jam or relish.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert, I live in the real world as disappointing as that is becoming with a pandemic, pollution, wars, recession, inequality, crime, violence, disrespect for responsible authority, never seen before wealth gap, misuse of valuable learnings (internet disappointment) - I could go on - but I get on with it with an open mind. I don't give up and put misguided hope (not faith) in a person who maybe lived 2 millennia ago and about whom a mixed bunch of misguided, evil, greedy, naive, cynical, stupid, ambitious, needy, sad, hopeful, desperate - I could go on - people, for their own reasons, choose to believe in and have created a myth that, so far on evidence has done more harm than good.
I have no wish to "become closer to Jesus" whatever that means. It's stupid, arrogant and invasive and .... oh, that's right, you're a Catholic. That's your default setting.

Anonymous said...

The the I think the the that The the the Curmudgeon the the feels the the quite strongly about the the this.

The The The Guy

Anonymous said...

You're not wrong, T. T. T. Guy! I'm a thinking kind of guy and I thought the same thing.

Phillip Edward Nis

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Damned right.
There's only so much you can take when naive people keep pushing a quasi-historical and subsequently reinvented mythical entity at me with nebulous quotes, platitudes and ideologies. This is all bound up in a horrible misogynistic, men only 'club' where the card carrying members wear women's dresses while denouncing women's' rights and making up rules for followers that they, themselves don't follow especially in regard to sexual assault on young people. I'm sick of it.