Sunday 9 April 2023

DO IT AGAIN

 


‘Coherent’ radio signal from alien planet hints possibility of life outside of Earth. A signal has been detected from a far-off planet. Astronomers are one step closer to learning whether there is life beyond Earth, following the discovery of an exoplanet that’s able to emit a “coherent” radio signal.


IS THERE LIFE ON ... ?


Let's imagine that there is life on a far off Earth-type planet. What does this mean for Christians and their gods?
Imagine this Easter a conversation between God and Jesus.




JESUS: Yes dad?

GOD: Son, have you heard the news?

JESUS: You mean the Good News?

GOD: Look there's no time for all that malarky, have you read the NZ Herald this morning?

JESUS: Well, it is Easter Sunday and I've ben a bit busy you know ....

GOD: Don't get snarky with me Junior ... look I might have another job for you.

JESUS: Ohhhh ... god .... I'm still trying to get over this one. What's the matter?

GOD: Wainuiomata?

JESUS: No, I said "What's the matter". Sheesh! Put your hearing aids in.

GOD: Do you remember when I told you about how I created the world and the universe and, well, everything?

JESUS: (groans) God, not this again ...

GOD: Listen up. I told you that when I created Earth it was like a second run at it. The first one wasn't to my liking - too many damned hills - so I made another one.

JESUS: Yes, what about it?

GOD: Well I stuck the first one away, out of sight I thought and out of mind ...

JESUS: (sotto voce) Out of mind? That figures.

GOD: What's that?

JESUS: Um, I said "Remind me - was it bigger?

GOD: Mmmm ... just watch yourself sonny Jim. Anyway, it seems that some silly bugger's found it.

JESUS: What? Found the planet?

GOD: Yeah and worse still, there're people on it.

JESUS: People? How come?

GOD: Well, I didn't make them if that's what you're thinking. It must be biological evolution.

JESUS: Biological evolution? What the hell is that?

GOD: Watch your language sonny. Biological evolution - you know, that thing that Robert was banging on about.

JESUS: Robert?

GOD: Yes Robert. You should know - he's one of yours isn't he?

JESUS: No, no ... hang on maybe he's The Holy Ghost's ... I seem to remember it telling me of some strange guy bothering him. He wanted  some naughty postcards of mum. Weird.

GOD: That'll be the guy. He said on some old guy's blog recently " What is biological evolution? Frank could not have been a scientist. I've heard of Darwin's theory of Evolution. Even if he was a scientist, to be frank, Frank would have known that science only attempts to explain the observable. What made Adam and Eve like God was their eternal soul! That is paranormal."

JESUS: Sheesh! What's that about?

GOD: Don't ask. You should read his blog posts - they're even worse.

JESUS: So what do you want? I've had a rough few days - again - and was hoping to get some kip while it's still dark in here before those bloody people open up the cave again ...

GOD: I want you to go there and do it again.

JESUS: Do it again ... isn't that ....

GOD: .... Yes, Steely Dan - a bloody good song - I inspired that you know ...

JESUS: "Only A Fool Would Say That" springs to mind.

GOD: What?

JESUS: Er ... I said "It's cool that you sing that I find".


GOD: Mmmm ... anyway, get your arse into gear and get over to YZ Ceti. This time we might be able to nip it in the bud before those guys get thoughts above their station.

JESUS: Is The Holy Ghost going too?

GOD: Well, you know it - if there's a virgin or two to impregnate it doesn't want to miss out.

JESUS: Ha ha .... hey! Are you disrespecting my mum?

GOD: Sheesh! I keep forgetting about our mixed up family situation - sorry about that son. Get on over there and see what you can do.

JESUS: OK dad but can I ask you something?

GOD: Sure - fill your boots.

JESUS: Well, this time can I go with the Anglican side of things and make the cross and all that purely metaphorical? The Catholic thing is a bit too gory and frankly, it hurt.

GOD: Sure, fill your .... go for it. And bring back some damned buns this time. I like those.




8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

JESUS: Um, I said "Remind me - was it bigger?

Why doesn't Jesus close his speech marks?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Come on! No smartarse answers.

Proofread!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, Robert would say that Jesus's communication with us is on-going - everlasting even so ...

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I think that if there is intelligent life elsewhere with the ability to reason and a moral code, they will be doing their best to get a copy of our Bible and the truths that the one and only God has revealed in it!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Being from another world they may not speak any of Earth's languages - hell, they might not be able to read at all. What do you say to that?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I think that Robert missed his calling. Instead of a commercial cleaner he should have been a priest.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Long time, no new post.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well. Easter guests, tennis, you know .... have you heard the good news? He is risen!