Friday 9 June 2023

A TRUCE

 

The bloggers in this community poke fun at each other for grammatical errors - particularly spelling mistakes. The worst offender (for mistakes) is Robert but this is just his default (see what I did there?) setting. The worst offender (for pointing out mistakes) is Richard who, being an ex schoolteacher is pedantic and a 'grammar Nazi (I know, I live with one).



I admit that bad grammar and incorrect spelling is inexcusable in the body of posts but, when it comes to comments, the Google settings aren't kind to someone in a hurry - which is the case for a commenter on Richard's or Robert's blogs who just wants to get the hell out of there - as there isn't an editing option after the bloody spell check changes a word written to something else like 'odist' to onanist' for example.

I think a truce is called for where errors that are obviously simple spelling mistakes or auto-corrected are excused. This does not excuse serious knowledge gaps though.




4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Maybe we should use Latin which is really a very easy way of communicating with the minimum of words!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Latin! Really? I can't see you spelling any of that correctly. You, in an old post incorrectly spelled "Hoc est enim corpus meum" which I'd have thought was dear to your heart.

Richard (of RBB) said...

La mamma degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thank you (I think).