Sunday 4 June 2023

THE SUNDAY QUIZZ

 I've noticed a slip of attention from the regular blog followers which is disturbing. I fully understand that the more complex posts go over Robert's head but when I simplify them the old pedantic ex-schoolteacher loses interest.

I'm a keen watcher of television quiz shows like Mastermind, The Chase, Tipping Point etc and like to do the cryptic crosswords and codecrackers in NZ Herald and The NZ Listener. I had a thought then that readers might like a weekly quiz to stimulate their interest. Each week's quiz will be presented by one of the Curmudgeons with a theme relevant to their particular area of expertise. First up is The Music Curmudgeon who has set a particularly easy quiz to get the ball rolling. Take it away TMC.


Thanks TC. This inaugural quiz should be a doddle for the musically inclined reader and has the extra benefit of a prize for the winner.

What instrument is indicated by these nicknames for musicians?

1. Bones.

2. Toots.

3. Doghouse.

4. Skins.

5. Foghorn.


Please get your answers in by close of day and, as Richard would say "have fun but don't sin".





13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have a go:

Bones = saxophone.

Toots = air horn.

Skins = bagpipes.

Doghouse = banjo.

Foghorn = moog synthesizer.



How did I do and what do I win?


Alice Forlerner.


THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks for giving it a go Alice.
To answer your questions: you didn't do well - who did you learn your music knowledge from? My Maloney?;you could have won a lifetime subscription to The Curmudgeons.inc. As it is, for at least giving it a go you've won the consolation prize of a lifetime subscription to Richard's Bass Bag. No need to thank me. Really, there's no need to thank me.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Trombones
Trumpets
Drums
Double bass
Saxophone?

I'm not sure of that last one.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

A penis?

Richard (of RBB) said...

No, probably a brass instrument.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hyperbass flute but well done you.
I'm sorry - but to be fair to Alice we can't give you the top prize however I'm pleased to tell you that a lifetime subscription to Robert's blog is on the wayto you.
Happy Sunday and don't forget to tell everyone about The Sunday Quiz.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes!!!

Richard (of RBB) said...

But will I be able to read it in Hell?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I meant to say an eternal subscription to Robert's blog is on the way to you so yes, you'll be able to read it in Hell but it would pay to hold your device up above the flames.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I just visited Robert's blog and his latest post made as much sense as reading the Bible upside down ..... hold on, that might be an improvement. It made as much sense as something that doesn't make any sense at all .... like the Catechism. There, I did it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

..... I wouldn't inflict anyone with a life subscription to that. If I get given an unwanted gift voucher I'll send it to you instead.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oh.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

From Dictionary.com.

What does it mean when someone texts oh?
In text messages or internet posts, Oh. can be used to express disappointment, a sense of awkwardness, surprise, hurt, or dismay at some news.