Tuesday 13 June 2023

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

Remember this?

 DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER

Of course you do. You probably have the link on 'speed dial' like links to most of The Curmudgeon's posts.

It seems that the dangers of AI and ChatGPT (the creators of which are currently being sued in USA in a landmark defamation case) are very real with many industries and professions including the Law profession being alarmed at indiscriminate use. A barrister was caught using it in a case submission when the judge called him out for misinformation. It seems that ChatGPT just makes things up when it doesn't have answers and in this case cobbled together bogus case precedents from the billions of algorithms it trawled. It even made up false case numbers for these.

Joe Bennett humorously writes on the threat of AI to humanity here:

JOE BENNETT

I like this.

Even the defenders of AI though admit that while there is a threat we ALL won't be eliminated. Boy, that makes me feel better.

Of course this could change. Over time we may build increasingly capable robots, and in a few decades we may reach the point where robots are doing a large share of physical work. At that point, an A.I. takeover scenario might become more plausible.
- Timothy B. Lee SLATE "Artificial Intelligence Is Not Going To Kill Us All."

AI IS NOT GOING TO KILL US ALL

This principle is particularly important for military hardware. One of the most plausible existential risks from A.I. is a literal  Skynet scenario where we create increasingly automated drones or other killer robots and the control systems for these eventually go rogue or get hacked. Militaries should take precautions to make sure that human operators maintain control over drones and other military assets.

        - Timothy B. Lee SLATE




6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Great.

I can't wait for Part 2...

TC uses the evil side of AI to boost his reader numbers to 3 or 4.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well 3 maybe. I want to be grounded in reality.I’m not Robert.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The thing about AI is that it has a creator. That reminds me of the definition of God. God must be outside its creation, meaning us. So, to humanity must be outside its creation, meaning computers. Computers will never have a spirit, that mysterious thing we share with the angels. Our mind is not necessarily the brain. People have OBE's when the brain is dead, but still have full consciousness.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well Robert that comment had a lot of words to it but collectively they didn't make a lot of sense. Did you get ChatGPT to write it?
I remind you that the 'creator' of ChatGPT is currently under indictment or being sued in USA for the damage that his creation has caused. Can we expect your god to show responsibility for his/her/its creations or be liable for indictment or other legal action?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

you got me that time.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I said girl, you really got me now
You got me so I don't know what I'm doin'
Yeah, you really got me now
You got me so I can't sleep at night"