Friday 21 July 2023

TRANSALPINE TRIP #2

 

THE TRAIN


Yes, you read the title correctly. It's the second post in this new series.

We were obviously spurred on by the response from episode 1. Remember when I asked: I hope that you enjoyed that. Please provide feedback in the complementary comment section which will enable The Curmudgeons Inc.ⓒ to better cater to your needs.?

Well, The Wine Guy was very supportive and his/her/its response triggered a tsunami of comments mostly from that old reprobate Richard of Richard's Bass Bag. It's hard getting this guy to comment on any blog post other than his own so we at The Curmudgeons Inc.ⓒ see this as a measure of success.

I left you at the end of the first episode salivating over the delicious meals that we had on our trip - not the tiramisu in Franz Josef and certainly not the very, very ordinary (but with a fancy description) chicken dish I had there.

Let me go back to the beginning - you're not doing anything important are you? Right - let's continue. 

We boarded in Christchurch at dawn's early light*.

* I threw that in to retain Robert's interest as I won't be talking about abortions, Catholicism or the catechism in this post and I've found that you have to 'throw in a few bones' to keep him reading so I referenced that dire USA national anthem that he no doubt loves:

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming, Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming?

Of course 'dawn's early light' for me is 8AM.

The train runs from Christchurch to Greymouth and travels through the Southern Alps via Arthur's pass. The scenery is spectacular with views of river valleys, gorges, snow-covered mountains, viaducts - you name it.

Here are some photographs:





The Old Girl took better photos on her phone and these will be available in the slide show that will be put on for you if you visit. No need to thank me.


Here are some professional photos of the area that I found on the internet:





It is a very special journey and I hope that the readers will take the opportunity to do this themselves sometime.


Here comes episode 3 ......


3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

That was...

Oh, there's an episode 3!

Well, okay then, I guess this 'exciting' could stretch to 3 episodes.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Sorry, I left out the word 'series' after 'exciting'. I guess I was a bit pumped with enthusiasm.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'd be careful about 'pumping' while being enthused viewing things on your phone or computer.
What if someone walks into the room?