Sunday 9 July 2023

BOGOF

 I played snooker against The Old Girl yesterday evening while drinking my Champagne. For those who know that The Old Girl is in Christchurch at the moment this probably needs a bit of explanation.


The above screenshot (yes Robert, I do know how to use screenshots. Is pedantry a family trait with you and your brother?) from an old post of mine explains this I hope.

Anyway, it's a good way to practice that's not boring.

I decided that some music would be good so selected a couple of CDs, started the stereo and set them to 'Random' play. Nothing. The damned CD changer refused to operate. After fiddling with it for ages I gave up and found a bluetooth speaker - the small JBL I bought in Wellington a couple of years ago. I set it up along with my iPad tuned' to YouTube music. Nothing.

JBL


We have a few of these so I tried another - the Bose one. Nothing.

Bose


I then found the Home&Co one but couldn't find the charging cord. Bummer.

Home&Co

I'm getting a bit pissed off by this time and not just because The Old Girl was beating me! I hooked up the AV Labs iPod player. Bloody nothing.

AV Labs

Figuring that all this was too hard, after using the iPad on its own but the sound quality from the built in speaker isn't great, I gave up.


Bloody technology.


Today I spent a couple of hours seeking out the power and charging cords for our numerous devices and labelled each of them relative to the device. Fixed.


After tidying away the various speakers in the snooker room I gave the stereo one more shot. It bloody worked straight away. Bastard!


I selected Miles Davis's TUTU which I have playing now and am listening to it from the study. 

I like this album as it was controversial and got angry reviews from 'traditional' jazz critics not unlike the way that the old folkies reacted to Bob Dylan when he 'went electric' at the Newport Folk Festival. "Fuck 'em" I say.

I also like it because the cover has the same photograph as the large poster I had mounted for The Old Girl's birthday many years ago and which hangs in the snooker room.


*****************


After I wrote this I thought that it sounded a bit déjà vu but it wasn't a false memory - I've written a similar post before - back in July last year in fact. Silly me!

Here it is if you're interested START ME UP


Two posts in one go. Aren't you lucky. In British supermarket circles this is known as a BOGOF*






*Buy One Get One Free

3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I enjoyed the Rolling Stones.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I bought you that little JBL speaker!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That’s right. Thank you for reminding me. I’ll take failing memory off your dementia symptoms list.