Friday 21 July 2023

TRANSALPINE TRIP #3

 

PUNAKAIKI

It seems that the first post in this series has been appreciated and, no doubt the just published second post will go down well. Thank you.

I mentioned a while ago that we had a choice to make with this trip - go north from Greymouth or to go south.

The train arrived in Greymouth early Friday afternoon. I'd booked a rental car for Saturday and Sunday with the plan to head south the next day. As we were checking in at the hotel - Copthorne- I had a call from the rental car company to say that they would have no-one on duty on Saturday morning and would I mind collecting the car straight away thus getting another half day at no extra cost. I agreed and we walked down to their depot after putting our bags in the room.

It was only 2PM so we decided to drive north to Punakaiki to see the famous rocks. I'm really glad that we did as they are spectacular and the reserve that's been created is well thought and and the tracks and viewing platforms well maintained.










These are just a few of the many photographs I took with my cellphone. The Old Girl took lots as well with her cellphone that has a much better camera in it. I can have these collated into a slide show for when any readers who come to visit. No problem.




Coming soon .... episode #4.



2 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The rocks look more interesting than the glacier...

I can feel the pounding of the surf,
The rising spires that bec'on
Up from the earth
With thoughts of he'ven.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That old, McGonnagal-style of poetry suits you Robert or at least matches your spelling and grammar.