Tuesday 25 July 2023

WHERE'S THE NARRATIVE?



Like many others I subscribe to TV screening channels like Netflix, NEON, Disney etc and access free channels like YouTube, TV On Demand and others to view films, documentaries and television series.

When it comes to films - films especially made for streaming like the Netflix commissioned ones I'm finding that they are churned out so quickly that basic things important to filmmaking are left out. These include acting, dialogue, location settings and, increasingly, narrative sense.

It seems that for the 'popcorn' audiences, narrative sense isn't important anymore as long as there's a bit of titillating sex, crash bang action sequences and actors with good hair and teeth.

I watched a new Liam Neeson film the other day - Blacklight:


Sure it was typical Neeson action adventure with the usual unrealistic plot but this one made no attempt at making sense. There were no consequences for the gratuitous violence, no police follow up to the murders and explosions and the end was twee and frankly stupid.


Does it matter? I guess not to most of the viewers but I'm getting pissed off with trash like this taking up space that should be filled with good films that have story lines with beginnings, middles and endings.

I'm not alone in this as you can see from these reviews I found on Rotten Tomatoes:




I'm sure that Richard and Robert will love it though.



 

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Neither of us has ever stolen communion hosts.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I see that you're learning comprehension and distraction from Robert.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oh Wekk!