Friday 21 July 2023

TRANSALPINE TRIP #5

 FOX GLACIER

We had not planned to go to visit Fox glacier but as it was still mid afternoon after having done the Franz Josef glacier walks we decided to drive to Fox.


As you can see in the map above Fox isn't  that far from Franz Josef and is a nice drive down SH6 passing Lake Matheson on the way.



Robert might remember when, in 1977 we drove this way and, when going over Mount Hercules came across a car upside down, off the road. It appeared as if the accident had just happened as the car doors were open and belongings were strewn about. We stopped to check but there was no-one there. I think we found out that it had been a very recent accident and the occupants, a family had been taken away. I believe that I drove a bit slower (for a while) after this.

I'm glad that we took the time to go further south to visit Fox. It was late in the afternoon but there was still good light as the weather cleared. We took a long track to a viewing area and, after a reasonably strenuous walk were rewarded with a magnificent view of the glacier. I guess we lucked out because the late afternoon sun lit it up more than would have been the case earlier.






I've got many nice photos of this but won't put them on here because - you know .... the slideshow.

Fox glacier isn't far from Aoraki/Mount Cook and it was tempting to climb further for a view of it but dusk was close and we were the last visitors on the track so. prudently we headed back to the carpark. My hip was sore  and giving me trouble at this stage so it was slower going down than it had been going up. We'd done more walking than planned so back at the hotel had a long soak in the  bath at the hotel before dinner.



** Coming up - maybe the final episode of The Transalpine Trip series **

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

It's known as the rubber band series.


How far can you stretch it?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

My hip?
Not far at the moment. I'm in severe pain. I'll write about it tomorrow.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Maybe you need a hip replacement!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Look after that hip TC.