Thursday 25 April 2024

ANAZAC DAY 2024



It's a national day of remembrance naturally, but with me it's always a personal day where I remember my dad and uncles, aunts, grand parents, great uncles and great aunts who served in the two world wars.


Dad served in Greece, Crete, North Africa and Italy from 1939 to 1945 in The Divisional Cavalry operating out of light tanks, bren-carriers and Staghounds.


I used to accompany Dad to Dawn Parades in Wellington - just me as my siblings were too lazy to get out of bed that early.


Keeping an eye out for snipers

This afternoon I'll go to the local club for the 2PM service. It's OK, not as evocative and haunting as the Dawn Parades I remember but there will be a piper and a bugler (not some guy playing a nose trumpet like you saw on Robert's blog).


I'll have a coffee laced with rum and maybe an ANZAC biscuit or two,



Yep, I'll remember them - or some of them.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I played at three public occasions and then I came home and played to a picture of Shelley's dad, Captain Scholefield. Actually, that felt like the most special one.
Ah, family.

Richard (of RBB)

THE CURMUDGEON said...

There was no piper at today's ceremony. The bugler was there as usual and hasn't got any better - he's no Richard that's for damned sure - but I don't mind. The guy gives his time and his best - what more can you ask for.

As per usual in the hymns, prayers and dedications there was the unnecessary mention of god. I kept quiet during these and only sung the Maori version of the national anthem.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

When would it be necessary to mention God?
Nice picture of you and your father.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It would never be necessary to mention god although Richard would suggest that hitting your thumb with a hammer or stubbing your toe might be a reason.