Friday 12 April 2024

BEYOND BELIEF SYSTEM

 Robert the pain of the west, in his latest post is showing us that he is a man of the past - the 1860s to be exact.

NOT WOKEN YET

His opening statement on this post celebrating the backward thinking Arizonians and their support for a restrictive law made in 1864 he said:

"It's great to hear that the USA is leading the world in respecting the dignity of life."

Fuck me! Does he really believe that? I think he should go there - to USA and back to the 1860s. His right wing, anachronistic, christian and chauvinistic views would make him fit right in going by this 'joke' he recounted:

"The other day I was standing in a line at Kmart and a woman shouldered the man in front and took his place.'Excuse me madam, that was my place' he said. She pointed at her shoulder saying 'it's my body and I can do what I want with it'. He pinched her bottom holding up a finger and a thumb saying 'well, in that case, these are part of my body and I'll do what I want with it too'."

I hope that Sue gives him a good slap for that.

Intrigued, I investigated what attitudes Robert might have had if he was living in Arizona in 1864.

"When examining gender roles, it is important to study how they affected men as well as women. During the antebellum era, white men kept the social hierarchy in place. White men during the antebellum era had the responsibility to protect their dependents. For the social order to work, white men needed their dependents to be subordinate. White men achieved this subordination though violence and disenfranchisement. Southern white men gained power through paternalism. Fox-Genovese defines paternalism as a “peculiar combination of hierarchically sanction male dominance in the household and bourgeois egalitarianism among men in the public sphere.”[1] Both wealthy and poor white men had the right to be the head of a household. In the South, the household’s political and economic significance left the domestic sphere a white male controlled space. During the antebellum era, white women may have occupied the domestic sphere but white men controlled it."

        From Home, Sweet Home: Gender in the Antebellum Household  HERE


Yep, that figures but unfortunately Robert hasn't moved on from 'the antebellum era' not unlike the red hat wearing MAGA idiots who unfortunately are making up a near majority of opinion makers and voters in USA.




6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Do you feel better now?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Oops. I'm repeating myself.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, do you?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Punk?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Plonker.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I guess film history isn't one of your strong points.