Saturday 21 August 2021

IT'S JUST NOT CRICKET! *

 "Do you hear that?" she asked.

"What?" I answered.

"Crickets." she said.


Cricket? What, the sound of the thwack of willow on leather? 

But that was another time.

I mentioned this to her.

"No you silly bugger. Crickets. As in the insects. I can hear them again."

"I can't hear any crickets" I said, not for the first time.

Indeed, ever since I've had tinnitus the only crickets I hear are in my head.

"There, now" she said as she muted the television.

"I can't hear anything other than.... " I said.

"Yes, yes, the crickets in your head." she interrupted.

I went into the kitchen to where she said she heard the crickets.

'There's nothing here." I said.

"Yes, well, there won't be now" she said "you turned the light on and frightened them away again."



Sometimes I think it's not just me who's going nuts around here.












* With thanks to a minor contributor for this post title.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good to see that she questions in colour.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Pity this blog wasn't called, "It's just not cricket!"

Richard (of RBB) said...

Methinks you changed the title.