Saturday 14 August 2021

BLEDISLOE GAME TWO 2021 - LOOK AWAY NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE SCORE

 NEW ZEALAND WON 57:22

Yes, that's fair and what it should always be. The world has been set back on its axis.

I purchased a SKY TV one week Sports access voucher this morning, knowing that the All blacks would be playing at Eden Park tonight and that the chances of me getting through to tomorrow to watch the game, without knowing the result, on any sort of free replay channel were ZERO.

Good old SKY package up the week-long deal ($19.99) uptalking all of the wonderful sports events I could watch knowing full well that it was only the Bledisloe Cup Match two game I wanted to watch. Their marketing team wax lyrically about the benefits of watching caterpillar racing in Outer Mongolia, primary school rounders in Nuova Lazio and cheese rolling in Yorkshire. Good luck to them, it's their job after all.

Anyway, I bought the deal this morning and boy, was I pleased!

We won!

We, being The All Blacks of course.

The final try was scored by the All blacks number 12. A centre. I was a centre (number 12) when I played rugby in my final year at St Patrick's College Wellington which was the only year that I played rugby. I might have mentioned it before but in my 7th form year my rugby team was the only team in the school to win every game and to win the Grade Two Wellington championships.  See: HERE

Tonight's game was a cracker with some fantastic back-line play by the All Blacks and, on a couple of occasions by the Wallabies. Early on in the game, and this was before lock Brodie Retallick somehow scored a fantastic (back-line type) try, the commentators were wittering on about some blah blah blah stuff about what the forwards do. I mean, who cares? These guys generally just muddle about, fall over, give away penalties and give the ball to the opposition. It's boring. Every now and then they do something which gets the referee excited and he blows his whistle. No-one knows why but if we get a penalty out of it's all good.

To explain a bit of this see: HERE and HERE 

Anyway, to get back to tonight's game The Old Girl asked me where I would be watching the game.

In the lounge, the Smart TV, a Samsung which we bought three years ago is deemed too old to be able to stream SKY TV through it. WTF! (or, for pedantic ex-school teachers - WTF?). I tried this a couple of weeks ago with the SKY Olympics package and it didn't work and so I just accessed through the computers we have. Tonight I said that I'd use the Apple Mac in the study but The Old Girl suggested using the newer TV we have in the second lounge at the rear of the house. I hardly use this room but thought I'd give it a  go. When The Old Girl said that she would be working from home this year (and in the future) she asked me to buy a second TV so that she could watch her crap  gender specific romcoms.

The one I bought is a Smart TV similar to the one in the lounge but, being two years newer is compatible with all of the streaming stuff that SKY and other networks do. Planned obsolescence? yes I think so.

I set myself up in the rear lounge which meant bringing down an old and comfortable armchair from the kitchen/sitting room at the front of the house. I warmed the room with an oil heater, tested the TV channel and - bingo - I was set to go.



I was in 7th Heaven (Robert might explain what the previous 6 were).

The more observant of readers might have noticed the bottle of wine on the wood burner.


It's an American Zinfandel, Artezin (I know, American spelling) from Mendocino. Bloody lovely, rich and quite alcoholic. The Old Girl opened it but, as she is going to Auckland tomorrow said that I could finish it. It accompanied the game tremendously well.

So, how did your evening go?




4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I watched the game too with a Sky Pass but there was some technical problem and I missed the first 20 minutes. One Sky guy I contacted said a lot of people were having the same problem but he didn't fix mine. All the 'technicians' had Indian names so I assumed they were in India and not that up on the importance of the game. The boys did well though. Better than the Sky Pass. I watched the game on my phone because I was too lazy to go and get the computer. Actually I'm quite happy watching on my phone. We're very lucky with modern technology - when it works.

By the way TC, you used the word 'all' when you meant 'ball'. It might be worth doing an edit on this post. We don't want to let the teachers of 3P down.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Fixed, plus three other spelling errors you missed.

I guess that long comment saves you from writing a post. Is this because you've become aware that Google automatically deletes blogs that reach 500,000 comments unless you pay for the premium package?

Anyway, sorry to hear of your SKY problems. Lynn usually asks the technicians what the weather is like over there (India or The Philippines) although nowadays it would be more apt to ask how the Delta virus is going.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I meant 500,000 vies not comments.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Views not vies.