Monday 21 March 2022

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW.

 We've had a massive storm here for the last couple of days and nights. The winds have been so strong that the house shook and McLeod Bay has had record breaking amounts of rain. The torrential downpour through last night washed a huge amount of gravel from the top of our driveway, down to the road. Fortunately most of the driveway is concreted but even so I filled 5 barrowloads of gravel and pushed them up to the top and redistributed the gravel. Bummer.

Last night The Old Girl was awake between 2 and 4am and watched a light-show of continuous lightning strikes. I was asleep.

After the gravelling exercise I took to the garden again to top off the trailer. I want to empty it today and take it in to have the electrics fixed and to get a w.o.f. I was ripping out the weeds that have taken over the vegetable planters and removing some concrete blocks that I'd thrown in for some reason. When I was picking up the last block I saw a very big wasp nest in it. Fortunately I had put my hand in the side of the block where the wasps weren't but they swarmed out to have a go at me.




I got a can of insect spray and gave them a good seeing to which they didn't like at all and several of them attacked me. How unfair is that? I've left them to settle now and will respray the nest and crush it.



I don't like wasps. A couple of years ago I got stung a few times and had to go to White Cross for some antihistamine tablets as my arm had swollen up alarmingly.

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

You be careful there old fella. I was nearly attacked by a cow once, so I know the dangers that animals pose.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The cow just looked at you while fishing the Tauranga-taupo river.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Clever cow, kind of like your clever dog.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I've never fished the Tauranga-Taupo river. The cow I'm talking about was a mean beast and much bigger than a wasp.

Richard (of RBB) said...

She sort of made this mooing sound. I still have nightmares about it.