Sunday 24 April 2022

INTERVIEW #3

 


This INTERVIEW series is going well.

Interview #2 elicited six comments and only three of them were from me. It looks like a third interview is required.


INTERVIEW THREE - FATHER FREDERICK BLISS

The Curmudgeon: Hi Fred, er I can call you Fred can't I?

Father Bliss: Yes, that's OK The Curmudgeon. I've been called worse - ha, ha.

The Curmudgeon: Yeah, I'll bet.

Father Bliss: What's that boy?

The Curmudgeon: I said I'll let you call me TC if I'm calling you Fred.

Father Bliss: Yes, TC it is. Hey! Weren't you at St Pat's in the 1960s? I remember a young man with outstanding promise and prospects. Was that you?

The Curmudgeon: (embarrassed) Yes, that was me. I ...

Father Bliss: So what happened?

The Curmudgeon: (Sotto voce) Prick.

Father Bliss: What's that?

The Curmudgeon: Pick. I said, pick a topic that we can talk about if you like.

Father Bliss: Righty-O lad. I remember that, in 4P in 1976 you were slipping away from the faith. That's true isn't it?

The Curmudgeon: Yes, slipping on all of that greasy crap that you and the others promulgated...

Father Bliss: What's that? Speak up lad.

The Curmudgeon: You propagated ideas of Catholicism and Christianity as Religious Master I recall.

Father Bliss: That's right and I made you a Sacristan to get you back on path didn't I?

The Curmudgeon: True, true, and remember how that turned out.

Father Bliss: Yes, well, we all have our little mistakes.

The Curmudgeon: You fired me as I remember.

Father Bliss: Well, sonny Jim, if you'd cut me in on the 'profits' then things might have been different mmm? Even priests like a mince pie and coke now and then.

The Curmudgeon: Is that some kind of a euphemism?

Father Bliss: Ha, ha. You always were one for the words TC. One of the many benefits of being in the 'P' classes I guess but I am a bit concerned at that aspersion you seem to have cast.

The Curmudgeon: Yes, well, let's get to the core of this interview. I know that you haven't had a chance to give your side of the story over that incident when you were 'Head Religious' of schools in Wellington.

Father Bliss: Ahh. You mean that chap Woodcock. Funny name that ...

The Curmudgeon: Yes, Father Alan Woodcock, a priest and music teacher.

Father Bliss: Mmm, they are always suspect those ones.

The Curmudgeon: Priests?

Father Bliss: No, music teachers.

The Curmudgeon: Woodcock was accused of criminal sexual molestation - paedophilia - in 1982, but the Catholic Church knew about his proclivities years before that and you simply moved him around different churches and schools.

Father Bliss: I did?

The Curmudgeon: The Church did but you were accused of hiding the fact. In 1982 three sixth-form boys alleged Woodcock had fondled them. The principal, Father Vincent Curtain, asked you, the Marists' chief at the time,  to remove Woodcock but you decided to leave him at the school until the end of the year.

Father Bliss: Well he was a damned good priest and music teacher ....

The Curmudgeon: No he wasn't. A 1979 report by Father Noel Delaney described reports of Woodcock's teaching ability at St John's as "rather undistinguished".

Father Bliss: Well, yes but as I said, he was a music teacher.

The Curmudgeon: OK, let's move on. You, while knowing what was going on and being aware of Woodcock's earlier convictions and treatment for inappropriate sexual behaviour and molestations, still said glowing things about him.

Father Bliss: Like what?

The Curmudgeon: Like this that you endorsed in the St Patrick's Silverstream yearbook of 1982:

"Father Woodcock's stay at Silverstream has proved all too short. He quickly established himself as a friend and confidant to those boys with an interest in music and others who came to recognise and appreciate his availability and sympathetic approach."

Father Bliss: Eeew, yes, maybe, have you proof of that?

The Curmudgeon: Here: 



Father Bliss: OK, fair cop.

The Curmudgeon: So?

Father Bliss: OK, so, I'm sorry OK. I missed it.

The Curmudgeon: Like you missed the behaviour and history of Father Minto when he was rector and you were Religious Director.

Father Bliss: OK, OK, stop being a molestation crank. There were some good Christian people at St Pat's you know.

The Curmudgeon: OK, I'll rise to the challenge, name one.

Father Bliss: Er, um, er ..... Robert! Robert something or other. He was always hanging around wanting to be a Sacristan. I wouldn't make him one - he was far too religious. He had this unhealthy interest in The Virgin Mary - always trying to take photographs up her skirt - that type of thing.

The Curmudgeon: Come on. Up her skirt! How could he do that as the statues 'vestments' were made of plaster.

Father Bliss: I said that he was very religious. I didn't say that he was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The Curmudgeon: OK Fred, I guess we'd better leave it there.

Father Bliss: Nice meeting up again TC. Thanks for letting me have a say .... I think.

The Curmudgeon: "Therefore you are".

Father Bliss: Ha, ha TC, there's that knowledge and wit again. Say, if ever you want to get that communion host business going again. I have some supply contacts.

The Curmudgeon: Sounds good Fred. I know how we can move it. Robert has access to a Church Shop.

  

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ha ha! 9/10. I only spotted one 'mistake'.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

9/10 - wow!

I wonder if Robert will, after reading the post through to the end, write a considered and informed comment other than "I read it"?

Nay, probably not.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The Catholic Church is up and functioning properly again. Go to confession and receive Jesus in the Eucharist.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Considered and informed?
I think not.

At least though, buried within Robert's comment, a subtext if you will, is an admission that his Catholic Church wasn't functioning properly before. I hope his masters at his local church aren't monitoring his comments.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Clever. But you overlook that the church is a summation of sinners. It runs on God's mercy as does your car run on petrol.(I borrowed that from C.S.Lewis).

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"the church is a summation of sinners. "

What?
What sanctimonious idiot wrote that?
Silly little quotes like that don't really do justice to your religion. Most are ridiculous and the rest inane. Even professional writers seem to leave their brains aside when they adopt the catechism.