Friday 8 April 2022

TELLING IT LIKE IT IS .... (sorry) .... TELLING IT LIKE IT LIKE HOW I WANT YOU TO HEAR IT

 Having spent a good part of my working life as a marketer it often surprises me that many educated and intelligent people haven't got the foggiest idea about good marketing and promotion. Usually these people come from cossetted occupations like medicine, science, commercial cleaning or education. They think that they are indispensable, have a high opinion of themselves and don't feel the need to 'package up' what they say in a polite and helpful way.

Take Richard of Richard's Bass Bag (please*). In a recent long-winded and frankly boring post he wrote this:

"I am not interested in the thoughts of Peter (aka The Curmudgeon) and any relative who has never played (nor attempted to play) the violin but is a self proclaimed expert."

When I quite rightly pointed out the rudeness of this comment he made some cosmetic edits to his post and removed my name but left in his scathing criticism of a relative of his and added this:

"Of course, Peter might have some good ideas."
Which, to me seems like a case of 'too little too late.
He also made a rude comment on my blog when I brought this to his attention:

"No, that has all been changed. You're the sort of boring person we want to attract to Richard's Bass Bag!*"

Look, I know that in his case he's too old to learn effective marketing skills but, given his addiction to  predilection for  liking of old jokes, music, cars, socks and underpants this old publication might appeal to him and be of benefit:








* That's an old music hall or Vaudeville type joke that as Richard only knows old jokes.

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Richard's Bass Bag* has a regular readership of five. Around these parts that takes good marketing. This blog, for example, has a regular readership of two.



* the original bass bagging site

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yeah, whatever. I guess those alter-egos of your come in handy sometimes.

Anyway, the HP laptop I'm using has Windows 7 installed and keeps asking me to upgrade. well, bugger that.
I've just dusted off Lynn's mother's old laptop and got it going. It is a 'G' whatever that is and has Windows Vista installed. If this does what it's told I'll be able create new posts for those 5 readers of yours.*



* Four really because one of them is me and, as you keep reminding me about spelling errors, I don't read my own posts.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I think we need to get back to C.S Lewis and "Mere Christianity". We all know inherently how we ought to behave. That we don't is the question.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I thought that we'd concluded that C.S Lewis was a silly prat who didn't understand women, was jealous of J.R.R. Tolkien (because he had more initials than him and for other things), got pissed on half a pint of shandy and said a lot of nonsensical things about your god and religion.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Yes, I did get pissed, but there's not too much wrong with a chilled red." C.S.Lewis.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I told you he was a silly prat." The Curmudgeon