Friday 29 April 2022

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

 


It seems that my previous post, Interview # 4 stirred up some memories among the Garden Road Boys.

Accusations and recriminations flew about like, well, things that fly about. The consensus though, was that the eldest brother 'He Who Cannot Be Named' was to blame for most of the indiscretions although Robert's admission to killing god's creatures like sparrows with his air rifle came as a shock. This has the hallmark of serial killer behaviour where killers demonstrate disturbing behaviour at an early age.

Still, we'd best leave all this where it belongs - back in the 1960s.


***************************

Moving on ........

It's Friday and tomorrow I'll be getting the new (old) furniture picked up - the kauri chest of drawers and the oak wardrobe. Luckily for you I recorded this in a previous post BUYING SPREE

The units are quite large and heavy and so not suitable for me collecting them in my trailer. I've made arrangements for a truck and driver to help me but this is proving much more difficult than it should be.

I have tried to arrange for the truck and driver to meet me at the pick up point where I'll help him to load the items and then I'll drive back home to help him unload when he gets here. The problem is in arranging a time. The driver, for whom it seems English is his second language keeps asking "what time pick-up". I'd told the seller that we'd pick up late morning Saturday and at least we got a date finalised but I'm trying to nail both down with a time. It's like herding cats. In frustration a few days ago I emailed the driver plus the seller and asked for them to agree on a pick-up time between them. I got a response from the driver asking, you guessed it, "what time pick-up". I repeated the email and a day later got a phone call from him asking "what time pick-up" although, given that he comes from Bangladesh or somewhere could just as well have been asking what colour my knickers are. I stressed, again. the necessity of contacting the seller. He said he would do that and confirm the time with me. That was Wednesday and I still haven't heard. I'll have to chase them up again this afternoon if I haven't heard. To him, I'll just send a text saying "they're blue!".

In the place where the oak wardrobe will go The Old Girl has a newish rimu wardrobe that I bought second hand a couple of years ago. She doesn't really like it (women huh!) and it is a bit small.


Yesterday, while in town waiting for the car to be serviced I mooched around furniture shops looking for a tall tallboy. There's a narrow alcove in the bedroom where I have a small chest of drawers but it's not a very efficient use of space.


I'm looking for something taller with more drawers. To date I haven't found anything suitable on Trade Me or other sites as I've been looking for something old and well made (kind of like me really). In the stores yesterday I did discover a few well-made pieces (most modern furniture is junk unless you want to pay a lot) and will consider buying one of these:







3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

If Robert (the quite a few things) gets through that without being distracted by a passing car, or a bird chirping or maybe an old lady farting out in the street, I'll be surprised.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

An update.
Saturday morning time became 4.30 in the afternoon.
At least I get to keep the details of my underwear a secret.

Unknown said...

I've got a tall boy similar to the first photo with exactly the same handles! I prefer the look of the last photo. But make sure the drawers are on rollers if you are spending mega bucks brand new. Mine aren't and they tend to stick and often need two hands to open.