Saturday 27 August 2022

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD ....

 

I don't know why but today I was thinking of my favourite lunches when working at Murray Roberts/Wrightons.

Driving the delivery truck made for a wide selection pf choice from a wide area so I was able to mix it it up a bit. No doubt Richard did the same.

Here are a few of my favourites:

  • Chips from the Golden Chips outlet across the road. No driving required. This 'fry-up' franchise was the best ever and has never been repeated in quality. There were only a few outlets - from memory the Adelaide Road one, one in Courtenay Place near Manners Street and one in Lambton Quay.
  • Hamburger from the kiosk in Kelburn Park. These burgers were unmatched then and I bet that they'd be better than the modern and expensive 'gourmet' burgers of today. They contained 'the works' including beetroot. Yummy.
  • Pate and salad French bread roll from the cafe opposite The Town Hall in Wakefield Street. I don't think I've ever had a better filled French bread roll. It had pate, lettuce and tomato only but was scrumptious.
  • Crumbed or battered snapper from the fish and chip shop in Kilbirnie. I can't remember the street but it was worth a drive there and a few of us would put our orders together.
  • Cornish pasty from the lunch bar opposite the Basin Reserve in Rugby street.
  • Chocolate brownie from the lunch bar in Island Bay on the Parade. Richard and I had lunch there a couple of years ago. It's now a cafe.
  • Salami, biersticks and other goodies from the Dixon Street Deli. It's still there but not in its original form as a classic deli and has diminished into a cafe.
  • The cheese roll from Sir Breadwin's in Lambton Quay. It was worth a drive to go and get these. Sadly the bakery has changed substantially and there's nothing quite as good there now.
Yay! Chocolate brownie.







2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I don't know why but today I was thinking of my favourite lunches when working at Murray Roberts/Wrightons.

Driving the delivery truck made for a wide selection pf choice from a wide area so I was able to mix it it up a bit. No doubt Richard did the same."

Two spelling mistakes in the first two sentences.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I was hungry, OK?