Saturday 4 April 2020

CORONAVIRUS CONUNDRUM

This lockdown doesn't really change much about my daily life except for the fact that I can't play tennis, go golfing or kayak. I have to sit around home but that's what I often do anyway.

To most New Zealanders the forced 'stay at home' situation is a great opportunity to get those jobs done around the house. My days now are like Sunday afternoons as it's so quiet around the neighbourhood with very few cars coming and going and no boating activity.

The problem for the DIY brigade is that the major DIY supply places - Bunnings, Placemakers, Mitre 10 etc are closed to everyone except certified tradespeople. You can't just rock up to buy some paint, wallpaper, hammers and nails and other tools and supplies. This also applies to garden centres.

The farmer at the back of our place at long last get rid of some horrible and scrappy trees that were on his side of the fence. I don't know what they were but they were invading my side of the fence (also scrappy) with long tendrils that had vicious thorns on them. This spurred me on to getting rid of the scrappy and horrible trees on my side of the fence - but leaving a few feijoa trees - and generally tidying things up.



I plan to replant along the fence line with some medium growth native trees, ideally ones that flower and attract the tui. I've just about finished with the clearing part of this plan but unfortunately there's no place open where I can buy the new trees, shrubs and bushes.

Bummer.

1 comment:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Well done. I have a kakabeek doing really well in my front yard. It responds well to sheep and chicken manure. Of course flax and kowhai attract the Tui's in the spring.