Wednesday 8 April 2020

IT'S A LAUGH EH - INNIT?




 I read on the news that supermarkets are warning people to shop early as stores will be closed on Friday this week - Good Friday.

Stores will be open on Sunday though - Easter Sunday for a change so that lockdown people can get 'emergency supplies' in to sustain them.

Well, it's a laugh.

Shops will be closed for one day so people will panic buy today and Thursday, worried that they and their families might starve before Saturday.

When I grew up in the 50s and 60s the shopping week was Monday to Friday - 9am to 5pm with a late night on Friday to 9pm. Everything was closed on the weekend - shops, department stores, petrol stations, fledgling supermarkets. Even the corner dairy or local grocery store was only open on Saturday mornings.

Guess what? We all survived. I don't recall seeing newspaper headlines of whole families perishing on weekends due to lack of food and 'emergency supplies'.

It's a laugh.



14 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

That noise at the back of your throat.
Totally agree. And thousands of workers will have to turn up to work and miss experiencing Easter bunny with their children.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Shelley and I are wondering if we should stick up on toilet paper.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Stick up?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, it can stick up your arse. Just trying to cover all options.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Chardonnay?

Richard (of RBB) said...

I love you The Curmudgeon.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

A variation on passive/aggressive.
This is overfriendly/threatening.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Get over it. Curmudgeon needs to hug someone and say "I love you".

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I've got my partner, The Old Girl for that, thanks very much.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Would it help to cuddle me?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, okay, don't be Mr Negative. I'm soft and I'm warm.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hey, thanks for the offer but .... um.... the lockdown rules don't allow
it. OK?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Whew!

Richard (of RBB) said...

If you're home in lockdown, update this blog.