Saturday 11 April 2020

FUNNY THAT

I'm reading a Christoper Fowler novel - The Water Room, book number two in his excellent and whimsical Bryant & May detective series. These are well worth reading being clever, erudite and funny in the best tradition of British writers.



I couldn't help laughing out loud when I read this bit:


'What has he been painting?' asked Alma Sorrowbridge, peering over Sergeant's Longbright's shoulder. The pair of them had decided to tackle the daunting task of clearing Bryant's study while he was out, and had discovered the half finished canvas set on an easel beneath a south-facing window in his cavernous new apartment.
  'It appears to be an allegorical depiction of the end of the world,' Longbright suggested, stepping back to decipher the chaotic muddle of purple and greens. 'What do you think?'
  Alma sniffed with a vague disapproval before wielding her J-cloth on his work surface. 'That big naked lady in the middle is a very odd shape.'
  'I think he painted her from memory,' said Longbright, tilting her head.
  'Then he must be getting Alzheimer's,' Alma told her, spitting on her cloth and setting down to a good scrub.
The Bryant in question is one of the pair of elderly special detectives who solve unusual crimes in London.




6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

This post gets 10/10 for 'very unusual'.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks.
We aim to please.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'm assuming of course that you were pleased.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Actually, I did not enjoy it at all. I even thought of going and reading some of Robert's posts.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, good luck with that.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Unfortunately his site wouldn't let me in because I used a possessive apostrophe correctly.