Thursday 9 June 2022

EXODUS AND INFLUX

 Well, I'm off to Wellington again.

It's been a good year  with, courtesy of Air New Zealand's great 'grab-a-seat' deals that I took advantage of in January and booked return flights for every month through to December, the chance to spend more time in my own home city than I have over the last 40 years.

I made a mistake with the early bookings, not realising that just because there are no direct flights from Whangarei to Wellington you can't still book return flights using just the departure point and the arrival point. I, instead, booked Whangarei to Auckland and then Auckland to Wellington and the reverse on return. I thought that I'd get some time in Auckland each time so left quite a few hours gap between flights. It wasn't until The Old Girl pointed out my error that I was able to book 'direct' returns from October through December which meant that there was to be less waiting time between flights.

Well, that's the theory.

The original bookings were OK for February and early March and I spent some time in Auckland during the day but then COVID-19 restrictions and lockdowns upset things. The April and May flights were cancelled and the later flights ran smack into the problems that Auckland was facing.

The 'direct' flights I booked were constantly being changed by Air New Zealand with flight cancellations and rescheduling so I tend to be stuck at Auckland airport for hours on end between flights.


The travel has ceased to be a pleasure and has become a bore and a core.




Still - one more return trip this month and that's it done.



1 comment:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Tis post didn't get published because I was in Wellington in 2020 and had troble with the computer.
Better late than never eh?