Tuesday 14 June 2022

LAST MAN STANDING

 


I feel like Bruno Lawrence in The Quiet Earth (although I don't imagine that I'll dress in a woman's negligee).

This morning, at tennis I was the only person, of a gathering of 12 who wore a mask. I don't wear it when playing but I do put it on when we sit about waiting for a game or when everyone breaks for coffee. I wear my mask and make sure that there is a reasonable space between me and the others.

A joker named Roger* arrived late, just as people were leaving the courts for the coffee break. He was wearing a dressing gown and 'lounge pyjamas' - certainly not the usual tennis garb. This guy is a pain in the arse. He has some kind of bi-polar issue which is kept in check by medication but occasionally he refuses to take the medication and flips out. He is an anti-vaxxer, against mask wearing and believes that Covid is either just another form of flu or a conspiracy dreamed up be world governments. I've mentioned him before in a post. See: BOTH BARRELS

While the group sat about in the sunshine drinking coffee Roger* dozed in a chair in the shed. When someone asked what was up he replied that he was dozing as he'd only just woke up before he came to tennis. He then said that he's been feeling a bit 'crook' as he's had "a bit of Covid off and on for the last week". I moved well away.

Some of the others who had heard what he said huddled (not a good idea in a pandemic) and discussed him. I abandoned tennis and came home. I don't want to associate with an idiot like this particularly if he's infectious. I'd bet that if he does have Covid that he hasn't been vaccinated and hasn't reported it to the health authorities. He's in the majority of this where most infections are going unreported by  stupid people because of no mandatory testing.

The Old Girl and I are taking precautions against the virus. We wear masks when in groups whether public or not. We always wear masks when shopping. We use hand sanitiser. We do not attend public gatherings. We avoid using public transport. We have been vaccinated and had the booster shot and plan on having another when it is available to us. I know that Covid can still infect people who have taken these precautions but that's no reason to not take them. We may still get Covid as other sensible people we know have but we will still try and keep away from it for as long as we can.







* Roger is his real name

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yeah, it's a hard one staying safe. I'm finding that, as I recover from Covid, a mask really makes breathing difficult at times but I always mask up to go into a shop or supermarket. At school it is tricky.

Richard (of RBB) said...

A popular post.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Who cares. I'm not as obsessed by comments as you are. I guess you were a needy kid you early version snowflake.

Anyway, I just got a SpyPass for the All Whites vs Costa Rica game 6am tomorrow. Only $5 special. Yay! Go the Whites (although Robert won't approve of all that sinning).

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I do not see Cricket as an improper use of nature or God's goodness or what ever other definition you may use for sin.

I agree with your comments on the virus. Let's not lower our guard, we might have won a battle but...

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Football Robert. Soccer if you will. 'The beautiful game'.
Not cricket.
Sheesh!

I have no definition for sin, it's a silly concept. Something is good or it's bad, it doesn't have to have an imaginary god to define it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

If there is a god the bastard was on the side of the Costa Ricans and obviously had something over the UAR ref - blackmailing him for his 'sins' no doubt.