Monday 6 June 2022

YES, HE WOULD BE BETTER OFF DEAD

 I just fished reading the latest Jack Reacher novel Better Off Dead.



This is the third one (I think) that's mainly written by Lee Child's brother Andrew Grant who cynically changed his name to Andrew Child. It is even worse than the previous two with a convoluted and silly plot with pedestrian execution and poor writing. Gone is the style of Lee Child's writing where humour and intellect balanced out the aggression and violence. This is written in a formulaic way but even then it seems that younger brother Andrew has hardly bothered to read through older brother Lee's writing to learn the mannerisms, wit and interesting anecdotes.

It's kind of like Robert writing posts for Richard's Bass Bag I guess.

Avoid.

 Note; I'm not alone in my criticism. Here's what a couple of other readers have said:


I guess the next Reacher saga should be like this snippet I wrote in a blog back in 2019: JACK REACHER



3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Peter Child?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I wouldn't write as good as Lee Child but I'd write better than Andrew Child. That's for damn sure.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'll reread it again tonight.