Wednesday 22 June 2022

THE LONELINESS OF THE LONG-WINDED CURMUDGEON

 


In the blog community I 'play' in it seems that I'm the only one bothering to craft meaningful posts, kind of like the essays I wrote at school. Ideally these should have a theme with a beginning, a middle and a conclusion where the reader is brought back to the theme and, if appropriate, provided with a moral lesson or some sort of advice. I like to show readers that I'm right in these leaving no need to question.



That's in the ideal world. In this real world 50% of the readership never reads a long post, doesn't understand the 'message' in any given posts and, like a baby in a cot or a cat, is distracted by mention of its own name or of some mythical deity or bogus institution.  This doesn't get in the way of a degree of arrogance, self-righteousness and sanctimony however.

The other 50% has the skills to recognise and read a well-crafted post but of recent has become lazy and, I guess through advanced age has resorted to seeking affirmation of and accolades for its own rather faded blog and its posts. This self-doubt is getting in the way of any decent posting which is a shame.

It's also a shame as I begin to wonder if it's worth the effort writing long and sensible posts on this blog and the many others that I produce. There are only so many hours in the day after all. Maybe I should pander to the lowest common denominator and give them what they want - scatology, simplicity, vulgar humour and ..... a punchline.






5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I feel guilty now.








NOT.

Richard (of RBB) said...

These are the sort of posts that might scare Robert off.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, if they were, it worked because he's gone. I thought you did that.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, I think it was me.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I don't think you'll reclaim that #1 position now.