Saturday 18 June 2022

MARTINBOROUGH R.I.P.

 I used to like Martinborough, it being my favourite Wairarapa township.

In the 1990s we were shareholders in a vineyard there and I helped to plant and develop it. We later sold the vineyard to Palliser Estate and I'm happy to say that they kept the name - The Pinnacles - which, if we'd taken the project to another level would have been a great brandname. We planted riesling, pinot noir and chardonnay and sold the grapes to other companies which resulted in gold medal wines.

I like Martinborough wines, particularly pinot noir and buy Ata Rangi pinot noir when we can afford it.

Richard of Richard's Bass Bag has also discovered Martinborough which is kind of like Attila The Hun learning of the northern provinces of Italy and deciding to visit.

"Where are the cleanskins?"

Richard is visiting Martinborough this weekend. I just hope that he doesn't wreck it.











3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I love Richard and I know he has a very refined palate.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Refined- like white sugar, white bread, white rice and white flour you mean?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Lemonade helps in wine appreciation.