Wednesday 29 June 2022

LONDON'S CALLING

LONDON CALLING - THE CLASH 



I liked that Clash song when it first came out back in 1979. There were a lot of post-punk bands around some good, many atrocious but The Clash were good. The song still stands up.

So, why London?

I might have mentioned a couple of months ago that The Old Girl was toying with the idea of a job placement in London as a swan song for her career with the company that she's been working for, for nearly two decades. The idea was for a 6 month placement starting in August but for various reasons it came to nothing. We had discussed the option and agreed that she should do it and I'd commute a bit.

Well, today London called. They want her to set up and manage a new business division as a subset of the London office. That's good news and she's up for the challenge. They want her there at the end of August though so the time line is a bit compressed and, get this, they want her there for two years!

OK, that was a surprise but it can be a pleasant one. It just means that I will be doing a lot more commuting to London than I thought. It might be that I go there for 4 to 6 weeks, come back for 2 months and then repeat, This will mean about 3 to 4  trips a year. I'll try and get the best premium economy deals available at the time. Accommodation won't be a problem as The Old Girl will have taken a flat or an apartment. I'll be able to travel very light as I'll buy seasonal clothes over there. Theoretically, on each of the trips all I'll have to take is my laptop, iPad, phone and wallet.

Who say's that life can be boring?*


Which reminds me. I've got to get fit. The Old Girl asked me to buy a rowing machine to go with the exercycle that we she uses. I'd better get cracking on that to help her improve her fitness (she's fitter than me) and, if I'm going to be doing a bit of travel, get my own fitness and stamina up.







* Oh, it was The Old Girl. She said yesterday  that she felt that she was getting into a rut with her job and was considering retiring. 

3 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I wrote that post yesterday and set an embargo on it until Lynn had cleared things with her local office. It seems that she has this clearance so, tentatively, it's all go.
I bought a rowing machine from Rebel Sport today and now have to figure out how to put it together. I feel a post coming on over this.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Exciting news! Well done!

Bob said...

Will Richard seems excited about the rowing machine, me and Sue agree it is good to keep busy with a job! Lucky you going to London every few months!