Friday 16 December 2022

GETTING YOUR PANTRIES IN A BUNCH*

 *Not these:







We've had the same kitchen since we moved into our house 13 years ago and, starting 13 years ago The Old Girl has been saying "we need a new kitchen" and I say "yes, we must get onto that". More recently The Old Girl's statements are more along the line of "I want a new kitchen matey" and it's a bit harder to sidestep.

Sidestepping has usually been to look for, in my view, more important things to do like installing the new French doors and windows, the ladder to the attic, the new decking, the garden retaining wall, the new back porch and even a new toilet seat in the main bathroom.**

Depending on which view you take - in my view our perfectly adequate and practical kitchen or, - in her view, our crappy and outdated kitchen, we have a fairly roomy pantry.


 This photograph doesn't give a fair reflection of its size as it extends out at each side another half a metre and is two and a half metres from floor to ceiling. There is quite a lot of shelf space - or, there was.

We seem to have outgrown our pantry and, because we've been buying things in bulk like Sanitarium Oat Milk and East Imperial mixers, now need a bunch of pantries.

Recently I emptied out the two cupboards at the end of the house, putting the junk my good stuff up in the attic (thanks to that new attic ladder) and these have become our pantry extensions. Here's one of the cupboards:



It's a bit depleted at the moment and needs re-stocking. After Christmas I'll go on-line to buy caseloads of our favourite tea, coffee, Sanitarium aloe vera juice and other items that are quite expensive on supermarket shelves and much cheaper when purchased in bulk for delivery. Note: I buy my wine in cases of six and these are kept in the wine cellar in the basement.

The extra pantry space is hopefully another diversion to The Old Girl's new kitchen requirement but I fear that it is just a temporary delay.

Thanks for reading this. If you would like an update, in the new year I am happy to take new photographs of the 'pantry extensions' when they are fully stocked. Please just ask.





** Links to posts on all of those things are available on request. Just ask.

5 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I didn't see any toilet paper. I presume it goes next to the paper towels.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

In the cupboards in the bathrooms.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Someone told be once that the famous quote, "Doctor Livingston I presume." should have been, "Doctor Livingston I assume."
That guy was Roger Brown.
Remember him?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Told me. Sorry.

Richard (of RBB) said...

This is going to be a hard post to beat.

Maybe you should try one about drains next. Or grass growing.