Tuesday 3 January 2023

WEATHER BOMB*

 * Not as bad as what that bastard Putin is lobbing at the Ukrainians, but it does look bad for campers and holiday-makers in Northland over the next few days.

I read a weather warning  from NZ Herald that said:

"A swathe of weather warnings are in force for the top of New Zealand as northern regions brace for torrential rain, gales and huge seas, with some parts at risk of flooding.Skies are darkening and the wind ramping up as the first tropically-charged storm of 2023 bears down on the top half of the North Island. Those tenting in holiday hotspots are being warned to be extra prepared for heavy rain and windy weather that is expected to kick in later tonight and, for some areas, hang around until the weekend. A heavy rain warning has been issued for Northland from 1am Wednesday while Auckland, Coromandel, Bay of Plenty and Nelson are under heavy rain watches as the subtropical low edges closer by the hour. In Northland, where many have headed for their annual summer holiday, the rain is expected to arrive overnight and fall for 30 hours non-stop."

HOLIDAYS TURNING TO SHIT


I particularly noted this near Biblical warning:

"In Northland, where many have headed for their annual summer holiday, the rain is expected to arrive overnight and fall for 30 hours non-stop."



Why me? What's Robert's God got it in for me for? The bloody Communion bread was stale before I got rid of it.

I feel sorry for the Freedom Campers and holiday makers but ..... this happens every year in late December and early January and has done for decades if not for centuries. How much empirical knowledge do you need?

I appreciate that some New Zealanders are locked into taking their annual holidays at this time of year but - not as many as in years gone by. The working environment has become more flexible and workers - particularly small business owners and contractors can choose when they take holidays.  A lot of course like this to be Christmas/New Year to catch up with family as a tradition. When I was working and had people reporting to me I made the choice to work through, allowing employees, if they wished, to take leave (not mandatory) and I took mine later.  As it was - and ever was - I lucked out as the months after January up until the end of March were the best for settled weather that was warm without being fiercely hot and usually dry.

Well, that's it really, it's all I wanted to say. Enjoy the rest of the week. I'm hunkering down which will mean reading and watching the video channels we subscribe to (that don't have advertisements) but if I do watch TVNZ and catch a car ad or two I'll try not to get upset. Instead of sending in a complaint to the advertisers I'll just do nothing or pray to some god for assistance  ... which is doing just nothing I guess. Robert will be pleased though.

No comments: