Monday 10 January 2022

I KNOW THAT IT'S ONLY MONDAY BUT .......

  ................. Our neighbour gave us some snapper fillets today, freshly caught from near The Hen and Chicken islands which are not far from us.


I plan to cook  some of it tonight in the Italian lemon sauce style that I do chicken fillets in. We'll have this with Hasselback potatoes and a green vegetable (asparagus, broccoli or green beans). The rest I'll freeze for fish and chips on Friday.

We live right next to the water but have never considered buying a boat. The Old Girl gets seasick through an inner ear imbalance. We buy our fish fresh  from local providers or sometimes are given some by friends and family. We like to eat fish.

Robert's a keen fisherman and is inspired by his pal Jesus who told him that he was a fisher of men. Robert's a bit of a lazy reader and listener though so interpreted that as Jesus being a fisherman.


Robert stands in rivers to do his fishing and sometimes catches a trout.


A trout



Trout Mask Replica

Trout Mask Replica is a double album released in 1969 by Captain Beefheart. It's very good and one of those recordings that are great to annoy people with. Maybe Richard should play it when Uncle Steve comes to visit.


Trout can be extremely light flavoured on the one hand or gamey on the other. This I guess depends on where they are caught and what they've been feeding on. Either way it needs seasoning with lemon juice, butter and pepper to make it palatable. I have caught and cooked them but prefer freshly caught New Zealand river salmon which I used to catch with my uncles in the Rakaia river in Canterbury many years ago.

I think that trout fisherman aren't that interested in the flavour of the fish they catch though, or even whether they catch any fish or not. They just like to 'commune with nature' and think nice things. How this lines up with the fact that they tease and torture the poor trout in the process though is anyone's guess. Meditation comes into it too and possibly, the rhythmic motion of the arm when casting the line is soothing.


I've certainly noticed that trout fishermen, when standing in a river, seem oblivious to everything around them.



Even when she took all of her clothes off her trout-fishing boyfriend failed to notice.



5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Look, if I wanted to be bored shitless by trout and trout fishing, I'd go and read Robert's blog. After all, Robert is to trout what the Spanish Inquisition was to the Catholic church.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

To be honest I got a bit tired of fishing after I caught one. I did not enjoy killing it and it was very average to eat. There were many bones and the remains stank badly after I gutted it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That's pretty much my experience too.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, back to basses and violins then.

Richard (of RBB) said...

No more feeding ferrets.