Monday 3 January 2022

SEEMS A BIT FISHY TO ME

 So, Robert is off trout fishing somewhere near Turangi.

I hope that he watches out for that bloody ferret that stole my trout years ago, see HERE

I guess that he'll be able to stand alone in a tributary stream off the Tongariro River and compose poems in between praying the rosary to his girlfriend The Virgin Mary.


’Twas in the year of 2022, and in the month of January,
That a monster trout came my way,
I was resolved for a few days to sport and pray,
And devour the small fishes caught in my inimitable way.

So the monster trout did sport and play
Among the innocent little fishes in the beautiful Tongariro - ay,
Until he was seen by me one day,
And I resolved to catch him without delay.

Oh! it was a most fearful and beautiful sight,
To see it lashing the water with its tail all its might,
And making the water ascend like a shower of hail,
With one lash of its ugly and mighty tail.

Then the water did descend on me all about,
Which wet my trousers and also my coat;
But it only made me the more determined to catch the trout,
But the trout just shook at me his tail.

Because I  guessed I had lost a prize,
Which caused the tears to well up in my eyes;
And in that my anticipations were only right,
Because he sped on to Taupo with all his might:

And my opinion is that God sent the trout in time of need,
No matter what other people may think or what is their creed;
I know fishermen in general are often very poor,
And God in His goodness sent it to drive poverty from my door.

I don't know why God took it away,
In the year of 2022 and the month of January,
Now I'll just have to go back to pray,
And complain of it quietly in my inimitable way.



"Och aye the noo , ah coudn'a done better masel'
....oh ... ah did"  - William McGonagall