Sunday 16 January 2022

PERCOLATION

 Women have different ways of processing information than men do. Men usually go for instant gratification whereas women plan things out a bit more and, effectively, play the long game.

I've noticed over the years that, with The Old Girl, it's better to plant the seed of an idea in her head when I want something, rather than declare outright that I'm going to do this or that. Here's an example:

The garden shed is cluttered - admittedly with lots of my stuff - which makes it difficult getting the golf clubs out or looking for some important bit of treasure. We need another shed. Declaring outright that we need another shed would be disastrous as she would say:

"We have a shed matey and it's full of your crap. Why don't you clear it out and take your junk to the tip?"

No, another tack is needed. She's doing some gardening on her holidays. It will likely happen that she will get a bit frustrated in trying to find a place to store those gifts I've bought her like her wheelbarrow, her garden hoe, her spade, her shovel, her plant food etc. I might then drop an innocent suggestion like:

"Yes, a little shed for the garden stuff might be a good idea." 

The trick is to leave this up in the air without follow-up. Over the next few weeks this idea will percolate in her consciousness to the point where it will take the shape as her idea and she will say:

"We need another shed specifically for the garden things matey." 

I'll acknowledge with:

"Mmm, well if you think it's a good idea."

It usually works.

This morning as we were reading in bed she said that she was going to make some breakfast. "Eggs rancheros" I said not knowing why the idea popped into my head as I normally have Weet-Bix. She ignored this and made herself some toast with smoked salmon. After another half an hour I was hungry so got up to prepare my Weet-Bix but ended up making eggs rancheros* instead. Such is the power of suggestion. For me, the idea was lodged in my brain and required immediate satisfaction. I prepared it and it was delicious. I gave The Old Girl a taste knowing that she will likely make some for herself for breakfast in a week or so. The long game.


Now, for that shed .......


The existing shed

The woodshed

The extra shed we 'need'



 * Eggs rancheros.

Recipe for one.

Whisk one egg with a teaspoon of water in a small bowl.

Add some sliced jalapeno peppers, diced salami and some diced pimentos or red capsicum. Grate some cheese into the mix and stir.

Heat a small amount of butter (I prefer Lewis Road garlic butter) in a small pan, add the egg mixture and carefully turn until cooked.

Serve on top of toast.



3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

That's a plan so cunning that you could pin a tail on it and call it a ferret.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Even Blackadder would not have ventured into the complexities Peter relates. A woman uses both sides of her brain just for talking. Mere men cannot imagine what she will planning two weeks ahead.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good thought Rob, but don't forget to proofread before you push the 'Publish Your Comment' button.