Saturday 5 August 2023

"I DON'T KNOW WHY, I JUST WORK HERE"

 Sometimes this old world just gets more ridiculous and common sense goes out the window.

No, I'm not talking about Robert's latest AI-inspired post although this does deserve a response which will be forthcoming. I'm talking about how some people take employment instructions too literally and park their brains before going to work.

Yesterday I went to K-mart looking to buy a keyboard lamp to highlight the computer keyboard when I'm typing. We used to have an Apple keyboard that had built in illuminated keys but, like most Apple (and other) computer gear, the planned obsolescence kicked in and it no longer works. I know exactly what I want and there are several brands that cater to this want*.


I first called in to Jaycar which usually has a great range of electronic gear but the lamp they stock is big and cumbersome and operates on batteries. It was also expensive.

I next went to The Warehouse but they are now poorly stocked and had no keyboard lamps.

Next call was Noel Leeming which touts itself as being expert in this field but my request elicited surprise from the shop assistant who'd never heard of such a thing.

I then as a last call went to K-mart which did not stock keyboard lamps. A helpful assistant however showed me some LED motion lamps that she thought might help. It wasn't what I wanted but it was only $14 and, besides, she was cute so I bought it. Unfortunately there's no way that it can properly affix to the computer or the laptop so it will have to be used in a cupboard or a dark corner.

When I went to pay I joined a queue for the check-out counters and the automatic payment machines and was soon directed to machine #12. This was at the end of the row and near the exit. A security guard type was stationed at the door checking customers' purchases or at least their dockets. He was a few feet away from me and was watching me process the transaction. As soon as I'd paid and collected the receipt I made to leave but was stopped at the door by this guy who asked to see my receipt. "You just watched me scan this lamp and pay for it" I said to which he answered "yes but I'm supposed to ask everyone to show me their receipt".

I just gave him a hard look and left.



* When I got home I went on-line and successfully ordered the keyboard lamp that I want.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Great po... zzzzzzz

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The keyboard lamp idea sounds good. The rest was just 'weird and disturbing'.