Thursday 31 August 2023

SO WHAT'S HAPPENING UP NORTH?

Yesterday I bought a new TV for the end lounge. It's a larger one (55") and The Old Girl will be able to watch her films and TV series in style.

Actually, why I bought a new TV is because the one in the lounge, the so-called 'smart' LG TV that we bought in 2017 (and, to me still seems brand new) won't load Sky Sport and TVNZ apps anymore. Bastards! I reckon it's a planned obsolescence rort where the TV manufacturers and the media platforms are in collusion. Maybe I should have posted this on The Aluminium Foil Curmudgeon blog. With the Rugby World Cup starting in a few days time desperate measures were called for.

Fortunately this coincided with Father's Day, that bogus retail rort devised in 1907 by - who else? The Americans. Anyway, lucky for me We were able to buy a Samsung 55" TV at a greatly reduced price. This 'smart' TV will get all of the apps we need and hopefully will stay smart for a few years.

I replaced the LG 48" TV in the lounge with the Samsung 48" at the end of the house. The Samsung has proven to be a much better machine than the Samsung and, even though it's a 2020 model is still 'smart'.

The problem was though that the 'feet' on the old Samsung are too widely spaced for the coffee table we use in the lounge. I had to  cobble together some old tiles to support it. This was functional but a bit unsightly.


It would only be a matter of time until The Old Girl would demand it being replaced.

Another problem was that the 'feet' on the  new Samsung TV (even though I measured it - really) were wider spaced than the 'feet' on the old Samsung TV and wouldn't straddle the TV stand at the end of the house. I cobbled together some old boards that like the lounge 'cobbling' was functional but also unsightly and a bit precarious.



There wasn't much clearance and I could imagine a disaster in the near future.

I had to go into town again today to buy some wood and have it cut to suit. I measured the requirements (carefully this time) and was on the way to Mitre 10, Placemakers or Bunnings when I remembered the boardwalk boards I bought for the attic. I bought these from Arthur's Emporium which is a wonderful treasure trove place in Whangarei that has bin-ends of everything - clothing, tools, electronics, sportswear, decoration products - most things all in a big overstocked warehouse.


As luck would have it they stocked some quality boards (with a carry gip at one end) that were exactly the measurement I wanted. These are smart-looking (to satisfy The Old Girl), sturdy (to satisfy me) and cheap - $5 each!


They fit on top of each of the TV stands and safely support each TV



Job done and - it gets The Old Girl's approval.

Talking of The Old Girl. when in town I called in to Countdown to replace the Johnson's Face Wipes I bought yesterday which, of course were the wrong ones. God I hate buying 'women's stuff'.

It's a great day here and I'll potter around outside this afternoon.



I've made a loaf of bread and have the provisions to make a chicken stir-fry for dinner later.



How's your day going?







2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

How's my day going?
Well, I could never hope to replace the excitement that yours obviously generates.
I guess I'll have a Cleanskin and just marvel at your exciting posts.




N






O







T

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

we had the same problem , I added a strap to the back to avoid it toppling forward also.