Sunday 20 August 2023

ROBERT EVOKED* MEMORIES

 * Maybe 'evoker' could be added to his list of descriptors.

In mid 1977 Robert, me and our friend Noel who Robert called Noll for some reason, drove from Wellington to Christchurch to attend Tony's wedding. 

That's Tony on the right turned prematurely grey from the shock of actually getting sex.

We went across to Picton on the ferry and drove across to the West Coast, down past the glaciers and then across the Alps to Canterbury.

The more observant reader will notice that I didn't mention Richard as being with us.

Well, he wasn't there. He was already living in Christchurch with Tony and Jan the woman that Tony married. Perhaps that needs clarification. Richard wasn't actually living with Tony and Jan and certainly wasn't getting married with them. This was 1977 and Richard hadn't discovered women then. He was in Christchurch to attend Teachers Training College with Tony and Jan.

"I'll discover women about 7 years later."

This trip went pretty well with the three travellers seeing spectacular parts of the country like the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers (which recently munted my hip), the Nelson lakes, Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo amongst others. We drove in my trusty 1963 Hillman Super Minx which gave us no trouble at all and fairly raced along only slowing on the Mount Hercules road when we came across a car that had flipped on ice and was upside down in a creek bed. 



I slowed down a bit after seeing that, much to Robert's relief. 'Noll' didn't mind either way as he probably couldn't see over the dashboard being a bit of a short arse and all. I used to drive fast years ago and only recently have become more circumspect - not yet an old lady driver like Richard - but a bit more careful and slower.

Robert the navigator in the back seat reading the Catechism or the Bible for directions


Peter: "Look Noll - I know that Richard will be there but you must come to Tony's wedding. Stop sulking, there'll be plenty of women for you to chase after. Richard won't discover them for years yet."





This post might be followed up with another if the official photographer posts some more photographs.



With special thanks to Robert the official photographer on the trip. Hopefully he has more.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I was actually at Teachers' College in 1976. I actually flew down from Wellington. I returned to Wellington in Peter's car. I didn't like flying so I swapped my plane ticket with one of the boys in the car. Mike, I think?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, I knew that you went to Teacher's College in 1976. I visited you there. I mistakenly thought that you stayed on the next year as well. I got on well with an attractive young woman who was visiting you. She was at Tony's wedding with her boyfriend or fiancee and I remember her rubbing my back. I didn't follow up with her because she was with someone else. I remember her getting very drunk later on and had to be taken home. I can't remember her name.