Wednesday 23 August 2023

ON YOUR WAY DOWN

 


Did you listen to that? I hope so because it's another outstanding Little Feat song, well written by Allen Toussaint and performed by great musicians.

It matches the theme of this post as well. I know that I have referenced it before but it is succinct.


Sunrise, sunset
Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet
People fly high, begin to loose sight
But you can't see very clearly, when you're in flight
Well it's high time 
That you find
The same people that you must use on your way up
You might meet up  - on your way down

I worked with a lot of people during my career - working for some and having a lot working for, or at least reporting to me. I've met good ones and bad ones. Some are still friends and some I'd never want to meet again. Most of course have just drifted away - this is natural. I don't think that I ever 'used' anyone on my way up though and, having done my best to assist and encourage employees have been pleasantly surprised to meet up with some of them years later and seen them in good senior positions. I was never in any position to meet any 'on the way down'.

I was thinking this today when my sister told me that she'd met someone who worked for me years ago and, although in a totally different career now was keen to catch up with The Old Girl and me. Nice that.
I remember mentoring her and encouraging her into higher positions which she excelled at. I can think of a few who have done similar and am very pleased for them. To me, that's the way the system should work, not dog eat dog but one where everything flows in the same direction (hopefully forward) and where institutional knowledge is passed on without fear or favour.



1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I agree. It should be the same when playing music too.