Thursday 2 March 2023

I'VE BEEN BUSY TOO

 I had a productive day, getting the wood-burner and flue at the rear of the house removed and then removing the heavy tile and concrete base that it sat on.


How it looked before.


After it was removed.





The base that had to be removed.



The exposed floor boards and the patch where an original hearth must have been.




The extra space created.




(Temporary) repositioning of the couch.


I just moved the couch against the wall to see how much space this has created in the room (lots) but don't dare to presume that this will be correct. Furniture placement is in The Old Girl's domain - I'll just hang about waiting for instructions as to where things will go. The couch, after I've had to move it several times (it is incredibly heavy having a double bed mechanism inside) will no doubt end up BACK TO WHERE I TEMPORARILY PUT IT). The television and stand will be moved about until returning to the current position. There will be more room for the rowing machine and the exercycle but I hope that I don't have to move these too many times. Like the couch they are bloody heavy and awkward to move.

The base was a bastard to remove as I don't have the right tools (mallet and tiler's wide chisel) using instead a light hammer and a big screwdriver. I was tempted to drive into town to buy some tools but went to the woodshed and got out a spade and a heavy axe. Using the spade for leverage and the rear end of the axe for smashing I was able to raise the base and break the tiles and concrete up into manageable pieces.

Job done and I deserve a couple of glasses of wine with the pizza I'm making. Tuna and anchovy pizza and McDonald's Reserve chardonnay. Yum!

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, okay to open the Chardonnay. You're not in a cage, like the Finches. Spread your wings.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Well done. We don't have coal fires anymore,ipso facto why should we have wood burners!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Is ‘ipso facto’ your new fancy ‘go to’ phrase?